Gardening can be a great hobby for seniors and retirees who love the outdoors. However, gardening can be more physically demanding than you think, and you may need to take extra care to ensure your garden is safe and easy to maintain. Here are some tips to help you get started:
– Choose a botanical garden or nursery near you so you don’t have to travel far to get the necessary supplies.
– Ask the nursery staff for recommendations on plants that are easy to care for. They can help you select the plants that best suit your abilities and goals.
– Raised beds or containers can make back and knee gardening easier. Franciscan Village, a senior community in Lemont, offers various gardening areas and raised beds so residents can safely and easily enjoy the benefits of this hobby!
– Use a watering can or hose with a trigger handle to avoid straining your wrists. Look for one that has an ergonomic design to make it even easier on your hands.
A security check should also be on your priority list when gardening. You can enjoy all the benefits of gardening without risking your health and safety when you:
– Wear gloves, long pants and closed shoes to protect your skin from sharp objects and chemicals.
– Use a knee pad or stool to prevent injury from kneeling or bending over for long periods of time.
– Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water, especially in hot weather.
– Take frequent breaks to rest your body and avoid overheating.
Following these tips will help you create a garden that is both safe and easy to maintain. Now you can enjoy many hours of peaceful gardening surrounded by the beauty of nature.
Contact Franciscan Village at 630-296-4748 to learn about our wide range of programs designed to help seniors live life to the fullest.
1270 Village Drive
Lemont, IL 60439